Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would like to know how to express that something is equal in some aspect to another thing (or person, if that makes a difference), as you would express in English by saying:

X is as (adjective) as Y

for example: This car is as fast as that car.

It would also be interesting for me to learn how to say:

"is not as (adjective) as" "is nearly as (adj) as" "can/might/will be as (adj) as" "want to be as (adj) as"

Thank you very much for your help!

share|improve this question
Did you try consulting a dictionary? eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=nearly+as eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=as eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=not+as –  dainichi Nov 30 '12 at 9:03

2 Answers 2

In addition to くらい/ぐらい as @rintuan mentioned, ほど (meaning "extent" or "limit") is your friend:

X is not as (adjective) as Y → ほど〜ない

• あの少年はお兄さんほど背が高くない → That boy is not as tall as his older brother.
  • 生物学は物理学ほど面白くない → Biology is not as interesting as physics.

Other comparisons: "to the extent of 〜"

• 今日はセーターを着るほど寒い → Today is cold enough to (need to) wear a sweater; "Today is cold to the extent of wearing a sweater"

Some other alternatives:

Two things being nearly equal in some aspect

• この車とあの車と、速さはだいたい同じ → This car is about as fast as that car; "As for this car and that car, their speeds are about the same"
  • ねこくらいの大きさのネズミ → A rat (about) as big as a cat
share|improve this answer

Is it sad that ほど didn't even cross my mind? >_< Thanks for pointing it out lol –  rintaun Nov 30 '12 at 16:51

Exactly what you're looking for...

One phrase which I believe will help you is 「~と同【おな】じくらい~」. This literally means "to the same degree as" and seems like it will fit what you're asking for. Some examples:

• 耳【みみ】が顔【かお】と同じくらい大きい。 His ears are as big as his face.
  • モデルと同じくらいかわいい。 She is as cute as a model.

This form will with with i-adjectives, but with na-adjectives, you'll need to use に, e.g.:

• ちっちゃい魚【さかな】もおっきい魚と同じくらいに[上手]{じょうず}に泳【およ】ぐよ。 Small fish swim just as well as big fish.

...And a [better?] alternative

Of course, you might also consider using 「~のように~」. It doesn't capture exactly the same nuance, but I think it does well enough. It also has the benefit of sounding much more natural in many scenarios. For example:

• 輝【かがや】く瞳【ひとみ】は星【ほし】のようにきれい。 Your shining eyes are beautiful like the stars.

Extending the meaning

Both of these phrases are equally versatile when you want to extend their meanings. You mentioned "not as", "can/might/will be as", and "want to be as"... all of these are possible by doing what you'd normally do in Japanese to say these things.

• モデルと同じくらいかわいくなりたい。 I want to be as cute as a model. [Note: It's true! I do!]
  • 耳【みみ】が顔【かお】と同じくらい大きくなるだろう。 His eyes will probably be as big as his face.
  • 人【ひと】は魚と同じくらいに[上手]{じょうず}に泳【およ】げないよ。 A person can't swim as well as a fish.

And just in case you really want your girlfriend to break up with you:

• 瞳【ひとみ】は星【ほし】のようにきれいじゃない。 Your eyes are not beautiful like the stars.

Note: basis for example sentences sourced from various Japanese-language websites.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.