Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A video game I've been playing has the following word in it:

アェウクス

I'm not familiar with アェ. Does it represent a specific sound? If so, what sound?

If it makes sense to do so, please include アィアゥアォ in your answer.

share|improve this question
This is just a guess: In many European languages, the sound between a & e gives the "a" in "fat." Many languages don't have that sound, but it's considered somewhere between "a" (as in father) and "e" (as in pet). The Japanese ア is more like the "a" in "father," so if you wanted to specify the "a" in "fat," アェ seems reasonable. –  AHelps Nov 27 '12 at 18:40

2 Answers 2

up vote 18 down vote accepted

“アェ” is not a valid spelling of any sound in the standard usage of kana letters. If it is used to describe any sound (in a nonstandard way), I agree with AHelps that it probably describes “æ” sound.

However, according to web search, アェウクス is a password which appears in a video game “時空の覇者 Sa・Ga3.” As it is a video game, the password used in it does not have to be actually pronounceable. It is スクウェア (the name of the company who made the game) spelled backward.

share|improve this answer
Ooh, I should have realized it was スクウェア backwards. Thank you! –  snailboat Nov 28 '12 at 4:44
The company is now known as スクウェア・エニックス. –  Kenzo Dec 1 '12 at 21:07

Like ドロップス is written スプッロド on the can in that famous Ghibli movie Grave of the Fireflies. blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-15-a2/uran_poron/folder/572274/98/… When Japanese is written traditionally, it's top to bottom and left to right. I imagine this is like a single column version of that. –  gbag Apr 20 at 15:38

I usually would do this in a comment, but I lack the reputation to do so.

http://translate.google.de/?q=%E3%82%A2%E3%82%A7%E3%82%A6%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D10&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wT

Click the "speaker" icon, usually Google gets those things quite right. Also I assume that you would rather spell the 'a' in 'fat' with a エ

share|improve this answer
As I wrote, “アェ” cannot appear in any word according to the Japanese orthography, and therefore there is no correct pronunciation of it. Google Translate just treats it as アエ because アェ is not a valid spelling. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 2 '12 at 23:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.