Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I encountered a Shogi saying:

三桂あって詰まぬこと無し

And I'm pretty confused about the ぬ there. If it was る I'd expect the meaning to be something like:
"If you have 3 knights, you can't be mated"

But looking at it's explanation here and here it looks like they are talking about mating (attacking) and not getting mated (defending).

Well, while typing this I suddenly realized I can just search google for ぬ instead of る, so I'll guess I'll be answering my own question as I was encouraged to do on other StackExchange sites.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 7 down vote accepted

The ぬ is a classical form of ない. While it's not often used you will probably still encounter it in some situations (proverbs are a great example).

In this situtation 詰まぬ=詰まない meaning "not being mated" so a translation for the proverb may be:

With 3 knights, there's always a mate (no such thing as being unmatable?)

share|improve this answer

What's so interesting is that あって is very un-classical... –  user54609 Oct 20 '13 at 1:22
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.