Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Don't say it, if you dont want to. You don't have to say it, if you don't want to.

How do i convey these in japanese correctly? My idea is 言えないこと言ってないもいいです。 But I am really confused by verb conjugation here. Don't say it = iwanai? ienai? Don't want to say = ienai? but then it would mean 'i can't say'.... Could you please help in both translation and explanation for these two conjugation forms.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

言いたくないなら、言わなくてもいい
lit. If you don't want to say it, you don't have to say it.

Some comments:

• The "don't have to"-form is ~て+もいい, i.e. you have to form the ~て form of the i-adjective 言わない, which is the correct negative for the verb (and not 言ってない).
  • The English leaves out the verb the second time, which can't be done in Japanese.
  • なら is just one option for "if" (which I think fits best). Other ways to say it would be

言いたくなければ、…
    言いたくなかったら、…

• 言えない means indeed "can't say" Your (slightly corrected) sentence means

言えないことを言わなくてもいい
    Things you can't say, you don't have to say.

share|improve this answer

"言わない" is not an adjective but 言う verb 未然形 + ない 助動詞. "言わなく" would be 言う verb 未然形 + ない 助動詞 連用形. –  Eric Nov 23 '12 at 7:15

I think i get it now! 説明ありがとうございます! –  myasha Nov 23 '12 at 7:33
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.