In this scene a young girl, Yotsuba, drops in on her neighbors for some breakfast. The mother who's cooking breakfast says:

「今お父さんの焼いてるからその次ねー。ちょっと待っててー。」

So I guess she's preparing her husbands food first, and tells Yotsuba to hang on for a minute.

But why didn't she just say ちょっと待って?

[Image redacted]

• I started to be worried about copyright issues. Can you check if posting a comic like this is allowed or not? Jun 10, 2011 at 15:46
    @TsuyoshiIto This would fall under fair use under the US copyright law I believe
    – Ken Li
    Jun 10, 2011 at 15:55
    @Ken, @Louis: Maybe you are right. But (1) I know almost nothing about the US copyright law and I cannot tell if it is fair use or not, and (2) although I know that Stack Overflow Internet Services, Inc. is a company based in the US, I do not know if it is sufficient to follow the US laws. Many users are from Japan, for example. Jun 10, 2011 at 16:00
    I think it satisfies the en.wikipedia.org policy. Which part of the policy are you referring to? Comic panels are pretty common on en.wikipedia, Yotsuba's wiki has a panel as well. Jun 10, 2011 at 18:05
    Oh, and thank you for asking on Meta Stack Overflow: meta.stackexchange.com/questions/94645/… Jun 10, 2011 at 18:05

4 Answers 4

Like Mark says, it's short for 待っていて, which is the て-form of 待っている. I think it's a little softer than saying ちょっと待って, and since Yotsuba is not one of the family, the mother is being a little more polite. Saying ちょっと待って can sound a little short. The meaning changes with the extra て, but I can't describe how it changes well. Something like "please be there waiting".

btw is it true that 待て is also acceptable compared to 待って ?
    – Pacerier
    Jun 17, 2011 at 10:58
    Nope, not in this situation. 待て is the imperative (like 食べろ or 飲め), it's a command to wait. It's too direct/impolite to use as a replacement for 待って unless you're commanding the other person to wait.
    – nevan king
    Jun 17, 2011 at 12:56
  • ok cool, initially i'd always thought 待て is way more common than 待って
    – Pacerier
    Jun 17, 2011 at 14:35

Other than soft / politeness on using 待って(い)て、 I think it has some sense that you don't have to stop what you are doing now to wait, and you may do something else while waiting.

Do you have anything to back up this "I think"? I've never heard this interpretation before. Jun 10, 2011 at 17:36
  • @Derek, Nope, I don't have it, that's just how I feel it. And I have no idea why mine is accepted.
    – YOU
    Jun 10, 2011 at 17:37
  • You've got an interesting idea there. I can't say I've got anything better, except that to me it "feels" like using ~ている puts more emphasis on waiting for a length of time. 聴いていてね ("listen [for more than just a little while]") versus 聴いてね ("listen [even if it's just for a bit]"). Jun 10, 2011 at 17:43
  • Oh...I first chose nevan's answer, but I thought you were explaining that last bit that he couldn't put into words. Jun 10, 2011 at 17:44

I think it's short for 待っていて. Though I'm just taking a guess in the dark here.

• This is correct; the い is often dropped in casual conversation. Jun 10, 2011 at 15:43
    I don't think think the poster was asking what it meant; I think they were asking about the difference between 待ってて and 待って when asking someone to wait.
    – Amanda S
    Jun 10, 2011 at 15:45
    Well I was wondering both. 待っていて, makes sense. But still the いて seems almost superfluous. Jun 10, 2011 at 16:00
  • @Louis: Perhaps this could be broken out into a separate question? Jun 10, 2011 at 17:36
  • Hmm...feel free to, but I think I got the gist of it from nevan's answer. Jun 10, 2011 at 17:47

could it possibly mean "you only have to wait a little while." because of the ite being there.. chotto modifies matte which equals wait a little (while) and ite means to be/exist/stay so therefore, 'a little bit wait is' could be a rougher interpretation.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .