Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A client sent some materials and I have to respond, so I want to give a quick thank you acknowledging that I have received the materials and will email again once I have reviewed them. (It's always important to get back to prospective clients quickly even if you don't have a proper response ready.)

For the "I'll review them and get back to you" part, I came up with the following possibilities, but none of them really seem right for a business situation

• ご確認して、改めてご連絡致します。 (Is して OK in a business situation?)
  • ご確認の上、改めてご連絡致します。 (Just doesn't sound right somehow)
  • ご確認させて頂きます。備えたら改めて連絡致します。 (Probably not this one, but I thought I'd add it for good measure)
  • Something else?
share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 12 down vote accepted

Note that you shouldn't be using ご here because you are doing the 確認, not the other person. Never use ご確認 for something that you will be doing. However, you can use ご for 連絡、報告, etc. when directing the action towards someone else.

For your example though, I might say:

いつもお世話になっております。
XXの書類、本日確かに受領いたしました。
内容を確認後、改めてご連絡いたします。
よろしくお願いいたします。

Also, out of the examples you made, the second one sounds fine if you take off the ご:

確認の上、改めてご連絡致します

Taken from here:

1 他人の行為や持ち物などを表す語に付いて、その人に対する尊敬の意を表す。「―覧」「―殿」「―出勤」「―馳走」「―両親」(Used for actions done by other people, things that other people possess, etc.)

2 他人に対する行為を表す語に付いて、その行為の及ぶ相手に対する敬意を表す。「―先導申し上げる」「―あいさつにうかがう」「―案内いたします」(Used for actions directed towards other people (anybody know a better translation for 他人に対する行為?))

As doing 確認 yourself does not fullfill definitions 1 or 2, ご cannot be used.

share|improve this answer

For 他人に対する行為: How about "Used for one's own actions towards another to whom you feel obliged to show respect in the immediate situation" (So, for example, if a shopkeeper goes shopping on his day off his peers in the same street might still use 謙譲語 to address him when he comes into their shop as a customer.) –  Tim Nov 15 '12 at 14:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.