Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm currently reading a Japanese children's book, and a character says 「金色の葉っぱだ」 I'm assuming the 「っぱだ」 is like saying 「たくさん」 or 「いっぱい」, but I don't actually know. Any help is appreciated!

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

葉{は}っぱ is a word. It means leaf!

share|improve this answer

Thanks! The author uses 葉 by itself in a previous sentence, which threw me off. –  Timmy Nov 15 '12 at 23:57

As snailplane says, for practical purposes, just think of 葉っぱ as a word meaning 'leaf'. In colloquial speech 葉っぱ is probably more common than 葉.

I haven't been able to find decisive evidence, but I conjecture that the っぱs occuring in (at least) the below words

葉っぱ
原っぱ
下っ端
木端微塵{こっぱみじん}

is the same morpheme, meaning "something unimportant", "edge", "small piece" etc. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

share|improve this answer

You may want to clarify the relation between your answer and snailplain’s answer. I think that you agree with snailplane’s answer and that you are trying to answer “What is っぱ then?” as the next step, but this is probably not clear to everyone (hence the low score). –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 14 '12 at 20:09

Thanks @TsuyoshiIto, I edited it a bit. –  dainichi Nov 15 '12 at 1:12

Thanks for clarifying the use of っぱ in this context! Shines some light on the difference in connotation between 葉 and 葉っぱ. –  Timmy Nov 15 '12 at 23:50

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.