Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

《俺が威嚇射撃する ゴーを出したら 突入だ》

I will fire a warning shot, when GO begins (must) rush in.
My shot at figuring out a translation above.

I figure it's something like, I will fire the warning shot, then say go, then we proceed, which is what happens next in the show. Just now seeing how it all connects grammatically.

Edit:

《瀬文隊長が威嚇射撃後 ゴーの合図で突入します》is spoken right before they go in by another officer. From that it's clear that:

After the commanding officer fires some warning shots, on the signal "go", we storm in.

share|improve this question
Do you have question in there somewhere? –  Dono Nov 11 '12 at 3:08

yeah sorry, trying to come up with a translation that makes sense. –  senorsmile Nov 11 '12 at 4:21
I think your last translation was correct. I'd interpret 《俺が威嚇射撃する ゴーを出したら 突入だ》 as "I'll fire a warning shot. When I give the signal to go, we'll storm in" –  cypher Nov 11 '12 at 7:31
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Trying to break this apart a bit:

• 俺が威嚇射撃する

"I will fire a warning shot."

• ゴーを出したら

"when (I) give the signal to go" (note the which points to an implicit subject, here which I think is almost certainly "I". Also note the second definition at Daijirin for ゴー: 「進め」の信号。 or "a signal of 'advance!'")

• 突入だ

"it's storming in" (where 突入 is a noun), which I don't think you can directly translate into English but I think has the meaning of "we'll storm in" in this context.

I don't think that 威嚇射撃するゴー could work, as that'd be "the go (signal) that warning shots", so I think there is an implied where the space is, as is fairly common in manga and in many subtitles etc (see also Why do TV subtitles use spaces (instead of commas)? for an example of how punctuation can be omitted). So putting it all together:

《俺が威嚇射撃する ゴーを出したら 突入だ》
"I'll fire a warning shot. When I give the signal to go, we'll storm in"

share|improve this answer

Exactly what I was looking for. Has to be two separate sentences. Arigatou –  senorsmile Nov 12 '12 at 3:54

どうもありがとう[?_?、?]大変勉強になりました。 –  Tim Nov 12 '12 at 13:49
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.