Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Today I heard the phrase なんてことしてくれた, as in:

君!なんてことしてくれたんだ!

which I learned means "Look what you've done". I thought くれる was only used when someone does something nice for you. Is this just a set phrase, where くれる is being used sarcastically, or are there other times you can use くれる when someone does something you don't like?

share|improve this question
This pattern reminds me a little bit of the adversative passive, where you use passive voice to indicate that an action affected you negatively. Not sure if they're related, though. –  Amanda S Jun 11 '11 at 19:17

@Amanda S - That makes two of us. I believe they must be related. –  user364 Jun 23 '11 at 10:34
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Speaking from personal experience, I do hear the ~くれる form used this way all the time in video games and such, and it seems to me that it does carry a kind of sarcasm(the Japanese kind :D).

I mostly hear やってくれたな! when the opponent does something to the person, but I seldom hear it used this way on any word besides する and やる, so I'd assume yours is a good bet.

share|improve this answer
You can find a similar style of sarcastic gratitude in English, such as when someone says "thanks a lot" for something that actually did more harm than good. In English, though, all you have to go on is the intonation, whereas in Japanese you tend to get a bit more explicit context, like in 「よくもだましてくれたな!」. –  Derek Schaab Jun 10 '11 at 17:50
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.