Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So I saw this sentence: きのう初めておすしをたべました。 And wondered if the は is just being left out. Does the sentence change any if は is added in? Like so: きのうは初めておすしをたべました。

share|improve this question

In this sentence きのう is an adverb, not a noun. There would normally not be a は unless it were specifically needed for emphasis. –  Ataraxia Nov 7 '12 at 20:07

@phoenixheart6: Well if that's the answer, could you change your comment to an answer. Thanks. –  dotnetN00b Nov 8 '12 at 17:31

Unfortunately, I'm not confident enough that's the answer. Particles on adverbs is one of my weakest areas of Japanese. –  Ataraxia Nov 8 '12 at 18:07
add comment

3 Answers 3

I think this は is a "topical は" or "comparative は". 昨日初めてお寿司を食べました sounds to me like you're just reporting that you ate sushi for the first time the day before, and 昨日"は"初めてお寿司を食べました sounds to me like "Speaking of yesterday, I ate sushi for the first time," (probably someone's just asked what you did yesterday, like 昨日、どこに行ったの? or 昨日、京都で何したの?etc.), or "(The day before yesterday I went to eat sukiyaki, and) as for yesterday, I ate sushi for the first time".

share|improve this answer
add comment

I'll venture to say that adding the は simply emphasizes yesterday. Without it it just feels like the fact that it was yesterday is a little less important.

add comment

There is no grammatical need for は in that sentence.

は is used for topic/comment constructions and this sentence isn't making a comment on the topic of "yesterday" at all.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.