Is there any source or explanation for the phrase「頭にきた」and why it means to be angry?

For example:

彼の言ったこととその言い方にはイライラして頭にきた。

Why does "what he said and the way he said it came to my head" mean that I should be annoyed or irritated? Why is 「頭」important and not something else? At first glance, I thought that the phrase was similar to "気づく", but it is not.

we have "don't let it get to your head" in English.
    – Flaw
    Nov 7, 2012 at 18:04
  • @Flaw: Yes that's true. However, that phrase isn't necessarily associated with being "irritated". I thought it was used in the context of someone being prideful and telling them to be more humble.
    – Chris
    Nov 7, 2012 at 18:30
  • There's also "go to your head". Hm... I'm not sure of their meanings anymore.
    – Flaw
    Nov 7, 2012 at 18:31

3 Answers 3

I think of it as blood rushing to my head when I am angry.

I don't know if it's etymologically accurate, but it makes sense to me. Compare the similar phrase 頭に血が上る.
    – user1478
    Nov 8, 2012 at 13:23
    +1: To back this up: 怒りや悲しみや驚きなどのために、頭に血がのぼる (reference).
    – Jesse Good
    Nov 8, 2012 at 23:04

This may not be the answer your looking for. But maybe if you're looking for an easier way to remember that. We do have a phrase in English kind of like that: "it got to me." If you tried to explain that, you'd run into the same problem.

Perhaps the body is imagined as a vessel that can contain things, frustration and anger being some of those things, and the theoretical limit is when we're filled up to the head.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .