Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider questions like:

Please leave the door open, thanks!

Could you please keep the lift's doors open? Thankyou

Please, leave it as it is.

They all imply something common: not changing the state of something. I know that まま is involved in this situations.

For example, this sentence is translated in this way:

そのままにして下{くだ}さい => Please, leave it as it is

And I know it is correct as I used it when I lived in Japan. But I do not know how to express more complex situations, like those ones I mentioned before.

Could you also provide a generic explanation, I mean the grammar rules behind this? Thankyou!

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 5 down vote accepted

There is ~て+おく, e.g.

そのままにしておいてください。
Please leave it the way it is.

The rationale is you do something and then you leave it that way ([置]{お}く means to put/leave). In informal situations ~て+おく is oftened shortened to ~とく, e.g.

ドアを開けといてください。
Please leave the door open. (lit. Please open the door and leave it that way.)

Similar constructions are

• ~てみる "to try to do sth.", or
  • ~てしまう "to do sth. (with a negative connotation)"
share|improve this answer

Any comments, criticism, suggestions from the downvoter? –  Earthliŋ Nov 7 '12 at 20:28

I'm not the downvoter, but I think ~ておく is only appropriate when the agent performs the action, and not when the state is simply allowed to persist. –  jogloran Nov 8 '12 at 0:12

Do not know who downvoted it, I think it is really useful answer. Actually I wanted some clarifications. 1) You said the short form is 〜とく, so, is this example correct? 荷物はどこに置いたらいいですか。ああ、あそこに置いとくね。 Is it correct? Can I say あそこに置いとけ下さい。? 2) 〜てしまう can also mean something done and finished right? Thanks! –  Andry Nov 8 '12 at 8:41

1) Your first example is correct. For your second example, you need to regard ~とく as normal verb, so you would need its ~て form to go before ください, i.e. あそこに置いといて下さい. 2) That depends on the tense you use: ~てしまう is non-past tense and can refer to something that's not done and finished. ~てしまった is past tense and done and finished, e.g. 食べてしまった "Sorry, I just ate it." (which, by the way, is often shortened to 食べちゃった, i.e. ~てしまう is shortened to ~ちゃう). –  Earthliŋ Nov 8 '12 at 11:48

〜ておく means to do something in advance as preparation/expectation for something happening. That is to say, the thing is not yet done.

• パーティーのため、ケーキを作っておく。 → I'll make a cake (ahead of time) for the party.

However, if the action is already done and you want it to continue to remain in that state, use 〜たまま.

• ドアを開けたままにしてください。 → Please leave the door open (as it was already open). / "Please let the door remain as opened."
  • (Facebook login in Japanese) ログインしたままにする → Keep me logged in.

Really appreciated the example of the Facebook login, nice! –  Andry Nov 8 '12 at 8:44

Between yours and user1205935 answer, I chose the latter because it is little more complete. I really liked the short form explained in that answer, that's all. It is a detail, really, both answers are very good, but I had to choose... Thanks a lot istrasci! –  Andry Nov 8 '12 at 8:46

No problem, you're free to choose whichever helped you more. –  istrasci Nov 8 '12 at 15:27

For completeness, another way might be to use 〜っ放{ぱな}し on the end of the 連用形 (conjunctive form) of verbs, but in contrast to 〜たまま it tends to have a negative nuance, e.g. ドアを開けっ放しにしないでください "Please don't leave the door open".

It is really interesting this other way you proposed. Since I studied Japanese in a pattern-fancy way, could you please explain what is the conjunctive form? Could you also detail a little more, the usage of っ放{ぱな}し? Thankyou –  Andry Nov 8 '12 at 8:36

@Andry the 連用形{れんようけい} form of a verb is used before e.g. the 〜ます form (for example as in 走り(ます) and 食べ(ます) etc), there's a table at Wiktionary. I'll try to expand on my answer a bit later. –  cypher Nov 8 '12 at 9:55

How about using 放る as in 放っておく.

まま と 放る

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.