Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a grammatically correct expression similar to the {~って感じ} slang?

For example, I heard something like the following conversation in an anime:

A: テストはどう?
B: どうって? 「もう死にてぇ」って感じだぜ。
A: アハハ。何だそれ?

What grammatically correct expression should B-san replace the {~って感じ} part with, while retaining similar nuance, emphasis and emotion?

share|improve this question
Just as a side note: って感 is not grammatically incorrect. It's just slang. –  Boaz Yaniv Jun 10 '11 at 7:32

I've never seen って+noun before, only って+verb. Can a noun follow って? –  Lukman Jun 10 '11 at 7:35
って is an informal form of either と or という. In the second case it can sure come before a noun, and it's actually quite common: ってこと, って意味, etc. –  Boaz Yaniv Jun 10 '11 at 7:37
I don't think って感じ is incorrect. –  Matti Virkkunen Jun 10 '11 at 12:25
I am not sure what you are asking. As other people said, って感じだ is grammatically correct. It is fairly informal, so first I thought that you were looking for a more formal expression, but you write “retaining similar nuance,” which suggests to me that you are not looking for a more formal expression. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 11 '11 at 0:24

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I guess you can always use ~という感じがする or ~という感じです, which, I guess, is where ~って感じ comes from.

share|improve this answer

I'd include ~と感じている so as not to let people think って is always translated as という –  repecmps Jun 10 '11 at 9:37

@repecmps: Although って can mean と sometimes, ~と感じている doesn't match the meaning conveyed by って感じ in this question. –  Derek Schaab Jun 10 '11 at 12:24

@Derek: How is that? What's the meaning conveyed by って感じ other than "i feel like ~"? Also って doesn't sometimes mean と but most of the time since this is what it means when って is in front of a verb. –  repecmps Jun 10 '11 at 12:40

@repecmps: As I stated, in this question, where the subject is the test, you wouldn't say 「もう死にてぇ」と感じている -- it's unnatural Japanese. という感じだ is a far better substitution. The fact that って often equates to と when it's in front of a verb (how often is anyone's guess) does not apply here, because って is in front of a noun. I'm fine with you mentioning that って is not always という, but in this context ~と感じている doesn't work and Boaz is right to leave it out. –  Derek Schaab Jun 10 '11 at 13:32
And you should know the difference between "grammatically incorrect" and "non-standard" or "low register" language. If I say "It's me" in English, there are many grammar douchebags who would just be horrified that I didn't say "It is I", but these says nothing about whether that grammar is correct or not. "Correct grammar" is not what the self-appointed grammar snubs of whatever language call "correct". Correct grammar, if anything, is this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammaticality. You're talking about this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescriptive_linguistics. –  Boaz Yaniv Jun 11 '11 at 13:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.