Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came across this on Twitter, it seems to be mostly a question but sometimes an exclamation. Is it とは, or maybe とか? How do you use it? My dictionary has a とな as word that come at the end of a sentence to get confirmation. Is this the same?

画像も貼らずにスレたてとな?
今日は次第に雨とな。
千葉東方沖震度4とな?
むっちゃんがイケメン店員とな( ̄□ ̄)!?

The avatars of people using it are overwhelmingly cute. Is this a cute word.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

As YOU wrote, とな in these examples is a combination of the particle と signifying quotation and the particle な signifies that the speaker wants reply or agreement or wants to make sure. I think that とな in this meaning is rare in the modern Japanese except as an Internet slang or possibly in some dialects.

“画像も貼らずにスレ立てとな!?” is a set phrase used in some Internet forums including 2channel. It means something similar to “You started a new thread (in the forum) without even including a single image in it? Seriously?” I guess that many of the uses of “とな!?” (or “とな?”) are inspired by this set phrase.

share|improve this answer
add comment

とな is basically formed by combination of と and な.

You may use ~とな at the end of the sentenses like that, basically use when you heard it from somewhere else and also express your agreement when you repeat that. It has similar meaning with ~というのだね.

You may also use ~とな at the end of the phrase (even in the middle of sentence), and it express light emphasis for your agreement.

ref:

share|improve this answer
@Boaz, btw, will you be ok for this moderator nominations about yours?, if so, could you comment as you accept it, and may be also an upvote? –  YOU Jun 10 '11 at 8:15
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.