Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The other day I posted a picture of some food on Facebook, and I noticed that all of my Japanese friends were saying 「おいしそう」. I made a good guess to what it meant, but I wasn't certain what exactly they were saying. I've seen this stem+そう with other i-adjectives too, such as 楽しそう, but none of this is covered in any of my Japanese books.

What exactly is this? Is it slang? Can it be used with na-adjectives or nouns too? If so how? Thanks! :)

share|improve this question
this is the same grammatical pattern, albeit for verbs, explained here japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/607/… And i'm surprised it isn't in any of your japanese books, cause it is basic pattern that would usually show up book 1 or 2 of beginners japanese as it is on the JLPT. –  Mark Hosang Jun 9 '11 at 4:22
Related exceptional case: “Seemingly cute” - かわいい + 〜そう –  Flaw May 29 '12 at 13:46

2 Answers 2

up vote 10 down vote accepted

[See this question, which deals with the same pattern when used with verbs. I'll adapt my answer from that question to answer yours.]

-そう after the stem of a adjective means "looking/sounding as if ___." おいしそう means "it looks as if it will be delicious." It is similar to constructions like おいしいみたい or おいしいよう, but -そう emphasizes evidence of the senses rather than general "seeming."

Contrast it with おいしいそう, which means "it is said to be delicious."

You can use -そう with verbs, adjectives, and some na-adjectives, but not with nouns. Here are some na-adjective examples:

• 駄目そう (looks like it's no good)
  • 丈夫そう (sturdy-looking)
  • 元気そう (peppy-looking)
  • 大変そう (Sounds rough!)

You can also use the -そう phrase itself as a na-adjective:

• おいしそうなケーキ (a delicious-looking cake)
share|improve this answer
Does adjective stem + そう always become na-adjective? What about verb stem + そう --> 壊れそうなバス? –  Lukman Jun 9 '11 at 6:22
@Lukman Yes, it's all the same pattern, so they would all become na-adjectives. –  Amanda S Jun 9 '11 at 6:30

Btw is おいしいみたい rude? Like "it looks as if it is tasty but it isn't" ? –  Pacerier May 30 '12 at 12:49

It seems ...

For instance

• おいしそう = it seems delicious
  • 行けそう = it seems I will be able to go

It is not slang, it is grammatically correct.

Detailed explanation: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/similar.html#part4

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.