What are the common 謙譲語 verbs that start with 「拝」? I know these ones:

見る → 拝見する (to see), 拝観する (to view something -- limited usage)

聴く → 拝聴する

読む → 拝読する

会う → 拝謁する (although I've never heard this used, and know that 目にかかる is more common)

借りる  → 拝借する

Are there any others that commonly used?? Actually, I've used 拝読 before but was later told that no one really uses it, and お読みする was more common.

• Interesting that there's no 「拝会する」. Jun 9, 2011 at 2:37
  • jisho.org gives you a list, but these are only used when you forget how to use 謙譲語
    – repecmps
    Jun 9, 2011 at 2:59
  • Make community wiki or close as "cannot be answered". meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/124
    – repecmps
    Jun 9, 2011 at 3:32
  • @rep, only moderators can make CW, he can't
    – YOU
    Jun 9, 2011 at 3:35
  • Thus the comment. Hopefully one will see it.
    – repecmps
    Jun 9, 2011 at 3:38

2 Answers 2

「拝啓」 (はいけい) is also quite common on writing letters.

• Oops, I meant to say I was only looking for verbs. Updated OP.
    – istrasci
    Jun 9, 2011 at 3:32
  • That's also a verb, means 「つつしんで申し上げる」
    – YOU
    Jun 9, 2011 at 3:35
  • At least in the modern Japanese, 拝啓 is only used as an opening word of a letter and never used as a verb. Jun 9, 2011 at 19:01

WOW, I was surprised how much people study formal saying of polite, and I've NEVER used it. we use 拝 for 拝見 and 拝借 but for others, for example 拝聴, we use お聞きになる because it's easier to understand.

We don't usually use 拝読, instead we use 拝見.

For example:

"Could I read your letter?" It's actually read but we use 拝見 which means look.

It'd be helpful to know who you refer to by we. I get the feeling you don't mean native Japanese in general, since you exclude older people in an answer to another question.
    – ento
    Jun 25, 2011 at 4:16
    @Ento: I think by "we", @Hikari means "Japanese people in general". In which he is probably overstepping a little bit (the use of keigo is down to socio-professional situations and context, not the whole people of Japan). We'll chalk it up to beginner enthusiasm and encourage Hikari to read through the meta site (as well as other people's answers), to get tips on the best way to contribute! (general tip: you should try to keep the main part of your answer factual, even if you add some subjective content at the end)
    – Dave
    Jun 25, 2011 at 4:27
  • well if I say 'I' then it's like I use it and it sounds like not everyone uses it... and I have no idea what was going on there so don't talk about it, and don't bring that subject to another question Jun 26, 2011 at 0:16
  • @Dave Thanks for the thoughtful follow-up. I'm glad you're one of the moderators. @Hikari I apologize if my previous comment came off as offensive. Frankly, my first reaction was "we who?" - I think it's generally confusing to use "we" in an internet forum, where people don't know the identity or background of each other. Even here, it's not as clear-cut as "ask foreigners, and you will be answered by natives." (Thinking of the right angle to discuss this on meta..)
    – ento
    Jun 26, 2011 at 1:52
    お聞きになる is NOT equivalent to 拝聴. お聞きする, or better 伺う.
    – user145
    Jun 26, 2011 at 2:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .