Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"当時の関係者何人かにあたって記憶を確かめてみたが、人の記憶の欠落部分というのは、捏造で補われる仕組みになっているらしく、共通の体験が、しばしば、お互いに矛盾する記憶になっていることに驚かされた。"

What does "にあたって" mean there ?

"驚かされた" is referring to what/whom exactly ?

Does "関係者何人か" mean "Some people of the authorized personnel" ?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

To supplement @istrasci's answer:

あたる here is the 4th entry in the article on goo 辞書, basically "investigate" or "observe".

share|improve this answer

The whole sentence basically translates to something like

(I) Tried to verify the memories of the related parties of/at the time, but I was surprised to learn that when it comes to the "holes" in the human memory, their recollections of the same/shared experience were inconsistent with each other, almost as if it was all setup -- (the memories) fabricated to complement one another.

• 関係者何人か means "several of the people related to <whatever the context is about>".

• The 驚かされた is referring to whoever "speaking" that sentence; presumably the person that questioned these people about their memories of whatever happened.

I know what 〜にあたって means when it has the sense of 〜の時, but that doesn't make sense here. So I'm not sure why it is used in this sentence.

share|improve this answer
Perhaps it's using some meaning of 当たる outside of the phrase にあたって? –  ssb Nov 6 '12 at 0:15

I don't agree with the "almost as if it was all setup -- fabricated" part. Where do you get this from? –  dainichi Nov 6 '12 at 0:53

Does this help? 人の記憶の欠落部分というのは、捏造で補われる仕組みになっているらしく => "(because of the way the mind works,) the holes in people's memories tend to be filled by false memories." –  By137 Nov 6 '12 at 4:36

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.