Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is what a friend said to me in response to my wishing him a happy birthday on Facebook. The topic/subject omission is often my biggest problem understanding Japanese, as I have trouble discerning what the implied topic/subject is. My best attempt is,

"If we could meet again somewhere it would be great!"

But I am not that confident. For all I can tell, it could be

"If we could meet somewhere again it would be a great place!"

Or something else entirely. Can someone please help me with this?

share|improve this question

Notice that in "it would be great", the subject is also implied :) –  dainichi Nov 6 '12 at 1:22
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Your first hunch is the correct one.

It'd be like saying in English, "It would be great if we could meet again somewhere."

The way it's phrased sounds like the person doesn't know when-and particularly where-you will be able to meet again. If it were the latter of your guesses it would probably be emphasized for clarity, like ~素敵なところですね

share|improve this answer

Thanks! Yea, he studied abroad at my school and now he's back in Japan, so that makes sense. –  Ataraxia Nov 5 '12 at 5:25
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.