Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a comment on the question Origin of あしからず, I wrote:

What about 必ず? It's from 仮 + ならず. Does that fit the 形容動詞 + ならず pattern?

I said this because 大辞泉's entry for 必ず says the following:

[副]《「かり(仮)ならず」の音変化》

However, Dono responded by saying:

That is one suggested etymology, but there is no general consensus.

If there is no consensus, are there other explanations for the etymology of 必ず?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Firstly, 大辞泉 is known to have a number of issues. You should get a second opinion on much of what it says. I'm away from most of my resources for the weekend, but below are quotes from several more reliable dictionaries at hand.

大辞林: 〔補説〕 「仮(かり)ならず」からできた語か

時代別国語大辞典:上代編: ズは、おそらく否定の助動詞、カナラは活用語の未然形であろう。名義抄に「必(カナラジ)」とあるのも参考になる。そのカナラに関して、(イ)仮(かり)ナリの略、(ロ)兼ぬから派生した自動詞カナルを想定する、という説がある。(イ)は、仮でなく---ほんとうに、という意味変化の経路を(ロ)は、兼ねられてしまわずに---それだけが一すじに、というところからと考えるのであるが、いずれも決定的な根拠はない。

角川古語大辞典: 活用語の未然形に打消の「ず」の付いた形と考えられ、「必カナラジ(名義抄)」もこの推定を支える。「仮ならず」の転とする説、「彼ならず」の意とする説、「兼ぬ」から派生した動詞「かなる」を推定して、二道かけず一筋に、の意とする説などがある。

I am not strongly opposed, per se, to kari + narazu. A good argument may convince me. However, the evidence is lacking. Why does the medial -ri- disappear completely? Also, semantically, the relevance of 仮 to 必ず is questionable. Anyway, people have argued various etymologies over the years, but as above 「いずれも決定的な根拠はない」.

share|improve this answer

Somehow I'd gotten it into my head that this was か (question marker) + 成らず, i.e. "not in question" > "absolutely, certainly, no doubt". Shogakukan also gives this 「かり(仮)ならず」の変化 etymology, but I too am not convinced. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 28 at 6:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.