Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Maybe a hard to understand question, but for example, I love the word 百日紅 (さるすべり) because it's the name of a red flower and uses some very poetic kanji (one hundred days of red) but opts instead for a reading that means a slipping monkey. I suppose I mean this in more of an interesting way than just gikun or ateji. Rather I'm looking for this total disconnect that 百日紅 seems to have, if that makes sense.

Are there any more like this?

share|improve this question

You should clarify that you're not actually looking for gikun or ateji. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Oct 26 '12 at 0:20

Can it also be read ひゃくじつこう? –  silvermaple Oct 26 '12 at 0:22
Although not a complete answer, this entry seems quite related to what you are looking for (along with some explanation of why such words exist): japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/6581/… –  Dave Oct 26 '12 at 3:54
If I am not mistaken, two names さるすべり and [百日紅]{ひゃくじつこう} both existed once, and somehow the kanji 百日紅 and reading さるすべり survived. (The reading ひゃくじつこう is not completely extinct, though.) This is how a 熟字訓 is typically made: a kanji notation and a native Japanese word for one notion were independently made, and later the native word is considered to be a reading of the kanji notation. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 26 '12 at 15:27
show 4 more comments

closed as not constructive by istrasci, Dono, Troyen, Flaw, snailboat Oct 26 '12 at 19:03

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.