Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I read once (in this comment by Victor Mair on Language Log) that Chinese has single morphemes that span two hanzi. The example given was the Chinese word pútáo 葡萄. At the time, I assumed it applied to Japanese equally, because I assumed 葡萄{ぶどう} was the same word. I then assumed I could generalize from that to similar compounds. (In retrospect, I don't think that reasoning was very good, which is why I'm asking this question.)

Other compounds that look like they might be monomorphemic include [薔薇]{ばら}, [蜘蛛]{くも}, and 麒麟{きりん}.

Are any of these single morphemes? Pairs of bound morphemes? If these are bad examples, are there two-kanji compounds that are single morphemes?

share|improve this question
That would depend on how you define "morpheme", which is not trivial. You should definitely be able to argue that all of your examples are single-morpheme, since for instance, it would be hard to argue the ば of ばら has any meaning by itself relating to "rose". –  dainichi Oct 26 '12 at 4:28
add comment

1 Answer

The only place you would find morphemes that span multiple kanji are in gikun or in reformed words, simply because "morpheme" in Japanese is defined as the sound a single kanji or kana has/makes.

「[海鷂魚]{えい}」

「[今]{け}[日]{ふ}」 -> 「[今日]{きょう}」

share|improve this answer
Also 百舌鳥, the first one of these types that I ever saw –  ssb Oct 25 '12 at 23:49

To add to Ignacio's clear and concise answer: gikun are cases where the reading does not match particular kanji in the compound... and sometimes has more kanji than morphemes, implying that at least one morpheme would cover two kanji (although the common view is that there is simply no kanji<->morpheme connection for such compounds). I am less sold on 'reformed' words: even the example above doesn't really show two kanji for one morpheme (merely a blurry frontier). –  Dave Oct 26 '12 at 1:24
"morpheme in Japanese is defined as the sound a single kanji or kana has/makes"? This is utter nonsense. So the morphemes of a word depends on whether you write it with kana or kanji? –  dainichi Oct 26 '12 at 1:41

ssb: You must living in Osaka, like I did, 百舌 (more specifically 中百舌鳥) was my first too! –  paullb Oct 26 '12 at 9:08
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.