Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This should be a rather straightforward (if a bit specific) bit of translation, but I cannot find a form that makes sense to me and gets corroborated by Google.

How would one translate the typical phrase structure:

Send him up/over [to the nth floor, to my office etc]

Such as spoken to an office receptionist over the phone, to ask them to have a visitor go up to a certain floor/office.

More specifically, I am wondering what verbal form would be appropriate. My two inclinations were to go with either:

渡してください

... but I am pretty sure this could only apply to an object, not people.

Or:

行かせてください

... but this sounds more like "allow them/me to go" than "have them go" (and so do most usage examples I can find in Google).

Does anybody know what the definite way of expressing this would be?

share|improve this question
can't you use 送る for people too? 私に彼を送ってください。(?) –  yadokari Oct 17 '12 at 3:57
◯◯さんに来てもらうようにお願いします。Otherwise, I would use 送る too. You can use 送る as well when you want to sent the person somewhere you are not at. –  oldergod Oct 17 '12 at 4:48

I am inclined to some use of 送る but in certain cases you might be able to use 派遣する [dispatch; send] as in 人材派遣業 [a temporary personnel service] –  Tim Oct 17 '12 at 22:36
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 7 down vote accepted

会議室{かいぎしつ}にご[案内]{あんない}してください。 (article from a business keigo website, more examples)

会議室{かいぎしつ}にお[通]{とお}ししてください。 (seen in a keigo manual (p.4), more examples)

Causative form can work too, if you don't need to use keigo to the visitor:

会議室{かいぎしつ}で待{ま}たせておいてください。

I think 来させる is acceptable, but 行かせる sounds unnatural. This is not because of the verb form, but because of the semantics of 行く.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I don't want to poach the answer spot that yadokari and oldergod should get, but in my experience, 送る has definitely been used.

例:彼らをこちらに送って下さい。

Translated to "Please send them here."

例:彼らをこちらに呼んで下さい。

Would also be common, as in "Please call them here."

[[ I don't want to poach the answer spot that yadokari and oldergod should get, but in my experience, 送る has definitely been used. ]] Why not? They didn't bother to make their thoughts an answer. –  istrasci Oct 17 '12 at 14:23
poach on brother! –  yadokari Oct 18 '12 at 16:27
add comment

Just thinking out loud here, so I'm not sure of the exact contexts or nuances, but what about

• 出す・送り出す → send : 使いを出す|send a messenger
  • 向ける → 〔行かせる〕send : 使者を向ける|send a messenger ⦅to⦆
  • 遣【つか】わす・派遣する → 人をある場所へ行かせる。英to dispatch : This one seems to be the wrong context
  • 招く → 〔頼んで来てもらう〕: beckon ⦅to⦆
  • 寄せる → let ⦅a person⦆ come near : call on ⦅a person⦆
  • Others that seem VERY context-dependent and likely have particular nuances: 召す, 呼び寄せる, 近寄せる, 近付ける, 呼びつける, 召し寄せる, 引き渡す (seems very unlikely), 引き寄せる (also seems unlikely).
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.