Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As long as the conversation I'm having, follows the chapters in Genki I & II I'm sort of OK but as soon as I try to engage in some small-talk I'm lost!

Sentences like

ロバートさんは, どんなスポーツが好きですか

just sounds dorky!

Please help me with some nice sentences for starting a conversation with friends, business associates and general acquaintances that doesn't make me sound like well, reading out loud from Genki I.

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by istrasci, gibbon, Flaw, Dave Oct 17 '12 at 3:11

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Considering that you meet the reputation requirement, do join us in our main chat, or in our other room. (You can practise small-talk-skills (albeit non-verbal)) –  Flaw Oct 15 '12 at 8:47

didn't think of that, should be a great way to practice, thanks. –  Fredrik Pihl Oct 15 '12 at 8:54

I learned from Genki too. Those dialogs with Mary and Takeshi are so ridiculous lol –  Ataraxia Oct 15 '12 at 13:58

Sorry, but this question is way too open-ended as it is for JLU. I would suggest following the comment suggestions above and joining the Chat to practice your conversational skills. –  Dave Oct 17 '12 at 3:11
add comment

1 Answer

You're asking for something that doesn't make much sense. You're looking for natural-sounding preset phrases that allow you to keep talking without saying anything.

How do you do small-talk in English? Usual topics for me are weather, local sports, travel, and food. Pretty much the same thing applies to Japanese. Sure, we could give you phrases that would start the conversation, but how would you deal with the reply in any of those cases if you're not sufficiently comfortable in the language to generate them yourself?

share|improve this answer

you are of course right, question is rather dumb! Although it can be really nice to have some prepared conversation-starters in your arsenal when those awkward silent moments arises. –  Fredrik Pihl Oct 15 '12 at 8:51
Suddenly break the silence by saying how quiet it is =D. "静かですね" –  Flaw Oct 15 '12 at 12:06

Agreed, small talk is small talk no matter the language. –  Ataraxia Oct 15 '12 at 14:03
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.