Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider these three lists:

In the verb-te form + ごらん structure, it seems that only the verb 考える needs to have も. (It seems that 考える can be used without も, but a cursory look over at Google suggests with も is more commonly used on the internet.)

Does this change the meaning at all? Why is the the case for 考える?

share|improve this question

What exactly are you searching Google for? For "考えてもごらん" or "考えてもご覧" (quotes included) I get roughly 100k or 400k results respectively; but for "考えてごらん" or "考えてご覧" (again, with quotes) it reports close to 14 million or 4 million results. Which is to say, it looks like with も is actually used less commonly on the Internet. (And then of course, there's the whole fuzziness of Google's reported results, anyway.) –  SomethingJapanese Oct 14 '12 at 6:23

@SomethingJapanese: Just "考えてもごらん" (without quotes) and "考えてごらん" (without quotes). I was looking to see if they actually matched the search results (for て I found a lot of results did not actually have just the て, but for ても most of them actually did...if that makes sense). –  silvermaple Oct 14 '12 at 21:21
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I believe the も basically just acts as emphasis. This is supported by weblio's definition of ても (連語): 「て」を強める意を表す。

You could think of 考えてごらん as "You should think about it.". It's a straightforward suggestion.

By contrast, 考えてもごらん is "You should really, totally think about it, trust me, just do it!". ...But actually, I guess that only parallels one sort of case. In another case, like (from the sample sentences)...

彼が大臣になったとさ、まぁ考えてもご覧、おかしいじゃないか
Just think of his being a cabinet minister! / The idea of his being a minister!

it's more like "Just think about it, even for a second! (and you'll realize how crazy it is)". In any case, some sort of emphasis, like those.

In the sample sentences, that emphasis mostly seems to be accomplished with "Just (think about it)" (which is my first thought, too). So to put it simply, I'd consider it like the difference between, "I mean, think about it. There's no way it's real." and "I mean, just think about it! There's no way it's real." The latter kind of makes it sound a bit more like it should be dead obvious.

share|improve this answer

Once you strip out the colloquialisms and 尊敬語 (politeness), is there really any difference in meaning between the pairs 考えてご覧/考えてもご覧 and 考えて見て/考えても見て? –  Tim Oct 14 '12 at 7:14

@Tim Weblio's definition of ごらんなさい suggests ご覧なさい and 見なさい are indeed technically equivalent, politeness and whatnot aside. I'm not entirely sure whether there's any other subtle differences or not, though. Part of me says maybe there is, and part of me says maybe that's just the effect of the politeness level I'm thinking of. –  SomethingJapanese Oct 14 '12 at 7:40
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.