Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The following sentence occurs in The Legend of Zelda:

ナンカ コウテ クレヤ

(This would be なんか買うてくれや! and was famously translated as "Buy somethin', will ya!".) From the 買うて, it's obvious he's speaking Kansai-ben, and I suspect that this usage of や is Kansai-ben as well. (I know that や is used instead of だ in Kansai-ben, but this is obviously a different usage.) But what does it mean? Does it indicate some sort of insistence?

share|improve this question
Somebody changed the title of the question to, "is や instead of だ Kansai-ben?". I'm changing it back because that is NOT what I asked. Yes, や in place of だ is Kansai-ben. I know that. I am asking about a usage of や that appears to be Kansai-ben and IS NOT a substitute for だ. –  Kef Schecter Oct 18 '12 at 12:40

+1 for referencing LoZ. –  istrasci Oct 18 '12 at 14:27

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

This actually most likely Oosaka-ben's variation of 「や」as「よ」, becoming something like:

なんか買ってくれよ!

The usage is explained in more detail here:

http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E3%82%84?dictCode=OSAKA (Japanese)

EDIT

The original quote from the just in case site downtime happens:

「ある」が転じた「やる」の命令形「やれ」の略。言葉の終わりに付けることで、命令敬語や連用形命令語などをやわらげる働きがある。「よ」のように相手をなじる意味は含まれていない。ハンカチ忘れんと行きや、ほかしとくんなはれや、持っておいでや、など。命令形命令語などのあとにつくと乱暴な印象を持つ。持って来いや、はよせんかいや、いてもうたれや、など。

share|improve this answer

In Kansaiben, や replaces だ and よ

share|improve this answer

That is why you never hear なんちゃらやよ right ? –  oldergod Sep 24 '12 at 2:42

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.