Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to translate the GUI of a simple memory game from English to Japanese. I want to the user to be able to choose how many rows and columns there should be in the memory game. For a 2x3 memory game it would look like this:

Rows
Columns

However, no matter how much I look in my dictionary(jisho.org), I can't find any separate words for "rows" and columns". The closest I can find is 列, but it seems to mean eithers rows or columns. So how would I translate these two words?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 11 down vote accepted

It's [行]{ぎょう} and [列]{れつ} for "row" and "column", respectively. (And [行列]{ぎょうれつ} means "matrix".) E.g.

2行3列のレイアウト
a 2-row-3-column layout

share|improve this answer
add comment

To expand on user1205935's answer, appending の数 will make it explicit that 行/列 is the unit of the number being asked:

行の数
列の数

Also, 縦/横 can be used to guard against possible confusion, as some people, including me, tend to mix 行/列 up and need to make a mental check on which was which (*).

縦
[   2] 行
横
[   3] 列

(*) The mnemonic is the kanji 行 has two horizontal lines (rows) and 列 has two vertical lines (columns).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.