Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would one say 'hearty' in Japanese? As in hearty meal, for example.

share|improve this question
tangorin.com/general/hearty never heard it used though, so best I kept this a comment. –  Ataraxia Oct 6 '12 at 23:42

Another dictionary gives me たっぷり. –  Philip Seyfi Oct 7 '12 at 10:42
Isn’t this what a dictionary is for? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 8 '12 at 0:51
@TsuyoshiIto: The word hearty has a very nuanced meaning, almost bordering on an idiomatic expression. A dictionary is no help here... (and I've looked it up in several dictionaries before asking the question). I think that the simple fact that there has been no acceptable answer so far confirms that this is not something one could simply look up in any other dictionary. –  Philip Seyfi Oct 8 '12 at 9:55

The current question as is shows no evidence that you have made any effort to find the answer. It is probably a good idea to state in the question what you already know and what you are unsure of. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 8 '12 at 10:58
show 2 more comments

3 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I would use 食べ応え(たべごたえ)がある。

It's a well used idiomatic expression, representing something you eat that has kind of a resounding effect on how good you feel. Hence, hearty.

share|improve this answer
add comment

心あたたまるごはん。You can use kokoroattamaru.

I do not know which meaning of “hearty” the asker is thinking, but the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (via www.thefreedictionary.com) says that “hearty” in hearty meal means “Providing abundant nourishment; substantial,” which is different from 心温まる. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Oct 8 '12 at 0:54
add comment

Here is a shot in the dark: 元気な (genkina): as in, 元気な食事 (genkina shokuji).

「元気な食べ物で元気なからだ作り」 Something like: "You are what you eat." (To be genki, eat genki.)

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.