Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I looked up both 沙 and 砂 in my 学研{がっけん} 漢和辞典{かんわじてん} today. It appears that they share the same list of readings (サ、シャ、すな、いさご). I also see that some words can be written with either kanji. Here are the senses my dictionary lists for 沙:

1. すなはら。「[沙漠]{さばく}」

2. すな。いさご。

3. 水で洗い分けて取り除く。「[沙汰]{さた}」

The dictionary goes on to say that meanings 1 and 2 are normally written with 砂. That makes sense to me--I've never seen すな or さばく written 沙 or 沙漠. (Of course, I'm only a student.)

So then, where the meanings overlap, is 砂 always used? I looked for the answer online, and I found a claim that 沙 to mean sand or desert is mostly used in China, while 砂 is mostly used in Japan. Is this true? Is there any distinction in meaning between e.g. 沙漠 and 砂漠? Are there times when I should write these words with 沙?

I started wondering when I saw how highly ranked 沙 was in the 文化庁 漢字出現頻度表 (Agency for Cultural Affairs kanji frequency list), but I fear I've misled myself.

share|improve this question
Sounds to me like the difference between building up (stone) and breaking down (water). –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Oct 5 '12 at 5:00
My guess is that 沙 has a somewhat high rank because it is used in names. Its type, 人A, would seem to confirm that. Here's a list of names with 沙: kanji.reader.bz/more/%E6%B2%99 –  dainichi Oct 5 '12 at 5:35
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

沙 and 砂 are almost the same, though 砂 is used to describe bigger 沙. 砂石's 砂 is quite different from 沙漠's 沙. However, today most of people consider 砂 as 沙. You can use them in the same way.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.