Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

From this sentence I read:

これらの手法はクリティカルセクションが(例えば100μ秒以内などの)一定時間以内に終わるよう精密にプログラミングすることを要求する。

How am I supposed to pronounce μ秒 ? Should I pronounce it as "mu byou"? or "micro byou"? I also looked up μm (micrometer) and found that it is マイクロメートル. I found a few other ones that are just loanwords like マイクロアンペア for μA. Can this convention be applied to 秒 as well?

Is there a convention to use with other measurements too? For example "pico", "nano", "femto"?

share|improve this question
μ秒 should be pronounced ma-i-ku-ro-byo-u. So 100μ秒 is pronounced hya-ku-ma-i-ku-ro-byo-u. For other units: ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… –  Teno Oct 3 '12 at 17:49

@Teno: It looks like 秒 is the only one that is not a loanword from the looks of that page. –  Chris Harris Oct 3 '12 at 18:03
@Teno: please make than an answer. I've seen several of your comments that should really be answers (plus it'll earn you rep). –  istrasci Oct 3 '12 at 19:03

@Chris Oh, that's an interesting discovery. I intended to refer to SI接頭辞 though. @istrasci Thanks, I wasn't sure about it actually since I've also read μ only in letter. –  Teno Oct 4 '12 at 3:05

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

μ as a character (記号) would be pronounced ミュー. But when used as a measurement I would agree with @Teno 's findings that it will be pronounced マイクロ, based off of the link he provided.

If you take a look at the Wikipedia page for 秒 you'll find that they write out マイクロ秒 on the page (though not in direct relation to μ秒), http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/秒.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.