Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking through a book of go problems, and ran across the following sentence accompanied by the problem diagram:

隅の黒一子が次にアタリですが、ここをどう考えるかです

A rough translation is relatively simple, along the lines of "Black's single stone in the corner is 1 move away from atari (technical term), what do you think about this position?" (By implication: how should black play to survive?)

The go problem is relatively simple. The bit that confused me was the か landing before the です in this question. What does this mean and how does it affect the sentence?

share|improve this question

Note that I did receive an answer from TsuyohiIto in chat a few days ago. –  jkerian Oct 1 '12 at 19:25

3 Answers 3

I think this may be the normal use of か inside the sentence, where it then represents "set of answers to that question" (better explained here: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/question, section "「か」 used in relative clauses").

share|improve this answer

It's very common to say 「~するかだ」. It would be easier for you to get the meaning by inserting 「が重要/問題」 after .

隅の黒一子が次にアタリですが、ここをどう考えるかです

隅の黒一子が次にアタリですが、ここをどう考えるかが重要/問題です

The translation would be like "Regarding the black piece in the corner which becomes Atari in the next move, it is important how you think here."

You know that you can use "koto" or "no" or "mono" to nominalize a proposition, don't you? Well, you can with "ka" as well, when the proposition is a question, direct or indirect.

For example:

1. いつ行くか教えてください. "Tell me when you leave." (Which is nothing else than "Xを教えてください" but where you drop the を because of か.)
  2. ポイントは、いつ行くかです。"The point is when you leave." (Which is nothing else than "XはYです".)

You don't have to drop the を because of the か. –  istrasci Oct 2 '12 at 15:18

@istrasci: actually, I think I remember being corrected and told to remove the を in similar sentences… –  Axioplase Oct 4 '12 at 3:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.