Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Edit: This question has been reworded as much as possible from the original to try to make it a question about Japanese. Also, adding the IME単漢字辞書 fixed the IME problem (thanks to Tsuyoshi Ito for pointing that out). Quote about 単漢字辞書: Microsoft IME単漢字辞書には、マクロソフトで読みが確認できたJIS第三・第四水準漢字が登録されています. However, it looks like 鎗 is part of JIS第一水準漢字, so I still don't understand that part.

If I look in the dictionary, やり has three versions: 槍/鎗/鑓 (I understand they are not standard).

When I type やり, my windows IME shows me the following:

enter image description here

Question

Why is 鎗 not on the list? It seems 鎗 is considered to be different than 槍 and 鑓. What is special about the character 鎗?

CLARIFICATION ON ENCODINGS AND IME DICTIONARIES

MS IMEs 標準辞書 is based on jis x 0208 which includes JIS第1水準漢字 and JIS第2水準漢字. 鎗 is part of JIS第1水準 and this is why it comes out why you type そう with the default dictionary on MS IME. 単漢字辞書 is a separate dictionary based on JIS X 0213 which includes 第3水準漢字 and 第4水準漢字, if you add it, it shows 鎗 in the 変換リスト when you type やり. Now, why exactly this behavior occurs to me is a mystery (perhaps its just a bug), but I know that other dictionaries for other non-microsoft IMEs do not exhibit this behavior. I am assuming this is because they include all characters in the BMP and do not divide things up according to shift-jis taxonomy. Also, perhaps the dictionary implementors decided that 鎗 is 異体字, so they left it out.

share|improve this question

You could turn this into a question about Japanese, by asking about the differences in usage for the three characters. In its current form, the question seems to be more suited for a different (computing related) SE site. –  Earthliŋ Sep 27 '12 at 8:38

@user1205935: edited. –  Jesse Good Sep 27 '12 at 9:13

It appears as the third result in my OSX 10.7.3 IME. –  Jeemusu Sep 27 '12 at 9:19
Candidate 7 in the screenshot says 単漢字 (single kanji letters). If you choose it, rarer kanji letters are added to the candidate list, including 鎗 (at least in the version I use: Microsoft Office IME 2010). But this is a question about the usage of MS IME, not a question about Japanese. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 27 '12 at 11:07
Shift-JIS is an encoding of a character set, and it does not specify readings of kanji letters. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 28 '12 at 0:13

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Get another IME. "鎗" was the second choice of my suggestion list, 槍 being the first one. I use "skk" via ibus for my IME. The reason it is not in your list is that you assumed that your IME would be exhaustive, and I don't think any IME would ever claim that.

As far as the difference is concerned, just looking at the radicals, I'd say the difference is what the spear is made of: wood, iron, or something else.

share|improve this answer

I use an Apple: "鎗" was also the second choice of my suggestion list & 槍 the first. –  Tim Sep 27 '12 at 9:32

Thanks, I switched to Baidu IME to solve my problem. It looks like ibus is only on linux, it's my work computer and I'm stuck with windows xp. –  Jesse Good Sep 27 '12 at 9:47

As Axioplase already mentions, if you look at the radicals, you can divide the characters into two groups:

1. 槍: Made of wood.

2. 鎗/鑓: Made of metal.

Now, 鑓 is what is known as 国字 and did not originate from China. Also, in current Chinese, 鎗 usually refers to a "rifle" or "gun" and not "spear" (however, the meaning of spear is still present) (Unicode defines it as "rifle, small arms, hand gun" which is kind of amusing). In Japanese, 槍 and 鎗 both mean spear (with the difference being the material it is made from), however if you consider 鎗 as an 異体字, then is most common 槍. Also, 鎗 also has the meaning of "container", etc. (see below) and you can see it in words like 鎗金.

References

【鎗/枪】ライフル

異体字の認定

槍/鑓/鎗・・・ヤリ

鎗と槍の違い 使い分けを教えて下さい。

From here:

鎗 ソウ やり

解字:形声。倉が音を表わし、金属のふれ合う音声を表わす。 字義:

①なべ。三本足があるなべ。   (Type of pot, one with 3 legs) 

②やり。(spear)

③こう(金偏に堅)鎗は、金属や石のふれる音。   (Sound of metal, rocks hitting together)

④長鎗は、米の別名。   (長鎗 is another name for 米)

⑤酒を入れる器。(Container for 酒)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.