Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider the conjunction ども, e.g.:

• 行けども

• 言えども

Formation rule:

• Verb Hypothetical form (仮定形) + ども

This leads me to hypothesise that the conjunction けれども (meaning "but; however; although") is built from けれ + ども.

I am unable to find a verb that is けれる. There is 蹴る though.

What is the composition of けれども? Or is it impossible to break it down further?

share|improve this question

There is also the proverb 働けども、働けども、我が暮らし楽に成らず –  Earthliŋ Sep 25 '12 at 9:02
@user1205935: That is not a proverb. I think that you are talking about a poem (tanka) by 石川啄木: はたらけど はたらけど[猶]{なほ}わが[生活]{くらし}楽にならざり ぢっと手を見る. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 26 '12 at 1:16
add comment

1 Answer

As you have already discovered, -domo attaches to the hypothetical form (仮定形). Historically, this was known as realis (已然形). The kere here is the hypothetical / realis form of -keri. -keri is an obsolete suffix (助動詞) which expresses hearsay recollection.

-keri itself may be further split apart as a contraction of -ki ari, where -ki is another obsolete recollectional suffix and ari is the verb ar-i "to be".

While simple and imprecise, you may think of -keri as past tense. You may still find remnants of it in expressions such as "dakke".

share|improve this answer
Actually, Daijirin says the けれ element from conjugation of adjectives, not the auxiliary verb けり. –  Zhen Lin Sep 25 '12 at 11:07

@ZhenLin Thanks for the report. However, I said nothing about Daijirin, which I agree with. Though that keredomo is a different word than the -keredomo that I was describing. See for example 竹取物語: 「かぐや姫を見まほしうして、物も食はず思ひつゝ、かの家に行きてたたずみありき_けれども_、かひあるべくもあらず」 www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~Taiju/taketori.htm I suppose the question should define what けれども they intend. –  Dono Sep 25 '12 at 11:31

Off topic: “The kere here is…”: I first read this as /kɪər hɪər/ and wondered what “kere” means, then I realized my mistake. I wonder if anyone read it as けれへれ. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 25 '12 at 12:47

@Dono. "Though that keredomo is a different word than the -keredomo that I was describing". There are two different keredomo ? –  Flaw Sep 25 '12 at 13:29

@Flaw Yes, with different meanings and different etymologies. One I described above and gave an example, the other Zhen links to Daijirin. Please clarify what けれども you would like an answer to. –  Dono Sep 25 '12 at 22:41
show 3 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.