Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm asking how do you say something like "I don't want to fail" in Japanese. Yes, in anime they say something like "makenai". But I want to say or write it like an actual Japanese sentence in the polite form not the informal form so no slang please. I know -tai is I want to (verb). Any answer on how to say it formally will be very helpful.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

You are using what could be interpreted as two different verbs:

まける -> to lose

しっぱいする -> to fail

Formally, I usually hear "I cannot afford to fail" rather than "I don't want to fail".

失敗する余裕はありません。

If you want to sound cool, you could say "I don't have any intention on losing".

負けるつもりはありません。

share|improve this answer
add comment

The way that I would say it is:

[負]{ま}けたくないんです。(maketakunain desu)

I'd be especially inclined to say it this way to the teacher of the class in question, as it sounds explanatory and somewhat humble. This roughly translates to "I'd like not to fail" or "I'd rather not fail." The "desu" is a copula verb that makes the sentence a polite one.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.