Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I can't resist trying to find patterns in words. These three words, for example, seem to fit a similar pattern:

• 頷{うなづ}く = [項]{うな} + 突{つ}く (source: community wiki)
  • 躓{つまづ}く = [爪]{つま} + 突{つ}く (source: community wiki)
  • 額{ぬか}づく = [額]{ぬか} + 突{つ}く (source: gogen-allguide)

However, I can't seem to find the etymology of 跪{ひざまづ}く anywhere. Since it appears to fit the pattern, I'd like to guess:

• 跪{ひざまづ}く = [膝]{ひざ} + ま + 突{つ}く

But where does the ま come from? It doesn't seem to fit the pattern neatly like the others.

share|improve this question
@snailplane: The questions is interesting but I'd be really grateful if you added the English for these words (it would save others from looking it up) –  Tim Sep 24 '12 at 11:39

@snailplane: Good observation on the pattern of these verbs! –  istrasci Sep 24 '12 at 14:30
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

It would be nice to have some more authoritative sources on this topic (if there are any), but I'm not convinced there is. A lot of the pages I could find said they don't know where it comes from, and I'm not sure anybody really does...

But one theory may be, in the Wikipedia article for 膝{ひざ}, it says:

...つま先と膝をついて座る座り方は「跪く」と言い...

A rough translation of that might be:

"...the way of sitting that is falling on your knees and toes and sitting down is called '跪く'..."

So I think it may be a combination of 膝{ひざ}, 爪{つま} and 突{つ}く.

I'm a bit sceptical of the "best answer" at this link (other pages say "つ" in "つまづく" comes from "爪" rather than "蹴" for example), but this seems to be more-or-less what one of the non-accepted answers at this Chiebukuro question says, saying that "〜まずく" is "つまづく" and that "つまづく" comes from "爪{つま}" and "つく".

share|improve this answer

Upvoting to counter the unexplained downvote. –  Ataraxia Sep 24 '12 at 13:57
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.