Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've got a copy of "オ・ヤサシ巨人BFG", Taeko Nakamura's translation of the famous children's book by Roald Dahl, The BFG.

The story concerns a friendship between a little girl named Sophie and a friendly giant (the titular BFG). In one chapter, the BFG introduces Sophie to a delicious fizzy beverage, called "frobscottle". This drink has bubbles which flow down instead of up, and make the drinker fart in a way that propels them around the room (yep, it's a pretty silly story).

In the original, this action is called a whizzpopper (a made-up word), and in Nakamura's translation, it is ゴナラ.

My question: Where does this "ゴナラ" come from? There are no results for it in http://jisho.org/, and various google search terms fail to turn up anything relevant for me.

I would suspect that it is simply a made-up word, except that Nakamura's translations of Dahl's other made-up words all have some structure / come from existing words, e.g.:

• "Frobscottle" (the fizzy beverage) is 泡立ちエキス, "bubbles extract".
  • "Snozzcumbers" (unpleasant tasting vegetables eaten by giants) are お化けキュウリ, "ghost cucumber".

So, is ゴナラ pure onomatopoeia / a fabrication just for this story, or does it have some external meaning that I am missing?

share|improve this question
+1 for reading The BFG in Japanese! What does the (Japanese) BFG say about people from Greece tasting greasy? –  Earthliŋ Sep 23 '12 at 0:56

He says "グリシアのニンゲンマメは脂っこすぎる", with furigana over both グリシア and 脂っこ saying "グリース". That quote also shows how the BFG calls people ニンゲンマメ, which took me a little while to get, until I realized it's 人間豆 = human beans! –  alcas Sep 23 '12 at 7:24

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

I'd guess it's just a play on おなら (fart).

share|improve this answer

And THAT's what I was missing. Thank you :) –  alcas Sep 22 '12 at 23:59

Where does the ゴ come from? –  Ataraxia Sep 23 '12 at 0:22

@phoenixheart6 Maybe a play on words by replacing the お by ご (as 御 can be read both お and ご)...? –  Earthliŋ Sep 23 '12 at 0:54

@user1205935 maybe...but the お isn't the polite 御 but the entire reading of the kanji 屁 (indicated by both jisho and tangorin). –  Ataraxia Sep 23 '12 at 1:45

@phoenixheart6 That may be so, but there are no rules for plays on words... I figure it was 屁 -> おなら -> 御なら -> ごなら -> ゴナラ, although this reasoning is probably too explicit to be taken seriously. –  Earthliŋ Sep 23 '12 at 2:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.