Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

くるまはみぎ、ひだりまたはまっすぐいってもいいです

i understand what mata normally means but, it doesn't seem to work in this sentence.

please & thank you.

share|improve this question
Just in case, this は is pronounced as “wa,” not “ha.” –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 23 '12 at 0:32

And what does it normally means? You might indeed be wrong about what it means… –  Axioplase Sep 24 '12 at 2:15
add comment

2 Answers

It means or. It is written as 又は.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Since Teno has answered the main question. To supplement:

Looking at different parts of the sentence:

• みぎ、ひだりまたはまっすぐ - right, left or straight ahead
  • 車は行く。 - the car goes
  • 車は行ってもいいです。 - The car may go.
  • 車はみぎ、ひだりまたはまっすぐ行ってもいいです。 - The car may go right or left or straight.
share|improve this answer

What did I parse wrong? –  Flaw Sep 22 '12 at 16:29
I think your translation is pretty much correct, but I don't think ~てもいい can be interpreted as "even if", I think it's more like "may" as in "cars may go right, left or straight ahead" giving permission. (I wasn't the one who downvoted your answer BTW) –  cypher Sep 22 '12 at 16:57

Is that は pronounced "wa"? –  Ataraxia Sep 22 '12 at 18:24
@phoenixheart6 yes. –  Flaw Sep 23 '12 at 2:51

@cypher Thank you for verifying. I shall correct it. I included "even if" in parenthesis because I thought that it was a more literal one-to-one mapping. I thought the "even if" mechanism of も leads to the "permission" sense of the phrase. –  Flaw Sep 23 '12 at 2:53
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.