Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a quiz, I got a question where one had to complete with に、を、で or が the following sentence:

この道(?)まっすぐ行ってください。

The correct answer being:

この道まっすぐ行ってください。

It always seems more natural to me to put で here instead of を as 道 describes where the action will take place.

Could anyone please give me the reason behind this choice in Japanese?

share|improve this question
Related (and possible duplicate): japanese.stackexchange.com/q/3243/78 –  istrasci Sep 20 '12 at 19:25
この道で行ってください is fine though it means "please go with/via this road". –  user4092 Jul 20 at 6:50

2 Answers 2

up vote 12 down vote accepted

There are basically four choices with motion verbs in Japanese. Each has a slightly different implication.

• に - "to" indicates the final goal of the travel. If chosen in your sentence it would be slightly nonsensical due to the この "Go directly to the street right here"
  • で - "in or around" tends to indicate meandering inside of the boundaries of a location. In other words, で treats the street not as a path to travel along, but as a place to move around inside of. This might be appropriate if you were at a street-fair or similar event (although this would probably be better with a verb other than 行く). In this case, however, the まっすぐ contradicts the implication of で, so it's not appropriate here.
  • を - "across/along" indicates traveling the length (or a significant portion thereof) of the road/mountain/sky/(distance). More details are at this question
  • へ - "to" - very similar to に, and へ can be replaced with に in pretty much all situations involving movement verbs. There is a slight emphasis on the "direction" with へ, such that へ is often called the "direction particle", as opposed to the "destination particle" に.

There are, of course, other possible particles for marking destinations, such as まで, までで, までに, the catch-all topic marker は, and even simple omission.

share|improve this answer

It makes sense now, thanks to both of you! –  Thomas Moulard Sep 20 '12 at 18:14
What about へ? I know it's not an answer to the question, but I think that one's worth mentioning with the other particles. –  Ataraxia Sep 20 '12 at 21:40

で can also mean "from", e.g. 家を出る/去る –  dainichi Sep 21 '12 at 8:14

Building off of jkerian's answer, here are some translations which illustrate why を is the correct choice:

この道でまっすぐ行ってください。

Please go straight in this road. (nonsensical)

この道をまっすぐ行ってください。

Please take this road straight ahead.

share|improve this answer
If someone can provide a translation or situation where この道でまっすぐ行ってください。would make sense, please do so, as I am curious about this as well. –  yadokari Sep 20 '12 at 18:13
When there are multiple choices "で" could be used. For instance, "目的地へ行くには道路Aと道路Bがありますがどちらですか?Aで行ってください." –  Teno Sep 21 '12 at 17:07

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.