Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What to say in Japanese when trying to Imply "This is my dad". "These are my parents". "This is my friend(female)". "This is my manager"?

I don think using これ is polite or will be appropriate.

Thanks.

share|improve this question
Not sure I understand the question. Are you looking for a translation of she, they, or a polite way to say "this person"? –  Ataraxia Sep 18 '12 at 7:14

@phoenixheart6: A polite way to say " this person". –  Venkatesh Kumar Sep 18 '12 at 7:16

Edited title to make it reflect the real intent of the post. –  istrasci Sep 18 '12 at 14:21
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The alternative to これ in polite Japanese conversation is こちら (you should find it in most 初級Japanese text books on how to introduce yourself.)

To implement this (borrowing Dono's answer) I would say:

こちらは私の父です。 This is my father.
こちらは私の両親です。These are my parents.
こちらは私の友達、由美子です。This is my friend Yumiko.
こちらは私のマネジャー(上司)です。This is my manager.

You can even use this to introduce yourself on the phone:

[あの..]こちらはABCのVenkatesh Kumarですが[いつもお世話になっております。]

The stop gap alternative to referring to people by pronouns (he/she/you etc) is to use their name. You would attach the suffix (さん etc) according to the relationship between you, your 相手 and your colleague.friend etc.

share|improve this answer
add comment

You do not need anything. Just list their title and add desu.

• This is my dad: 父です or オヤジです。
  • These are my parents: 両親です。
  • This is my friend (female): 友達です。
  • This is my manager: マネジャー(上司)です。
I think the OP was looking for an alternative to これ: What about introducing the person with こちらは私の[ちちです etc]. –  Tim Sep 18 '12 at 5:08

@user1205935, "use nothing" is an alternative, but the space deixis is lost. That's not the case with こちら. –  dainichi Sep 18 '12 at 7:41
@Tim: Please put that as a separate answer (or I will). –  istrasci Sep 18 '12 at 14:19
add comment

こちらは 田中さんです。(He is Mr.Tanaka) こちらは is polite way to say he or she

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.