Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a good website that contains etymological explanations about the 2000 most important Kanji?

I'm looking for something like this: http://tokyogreenspace.com/2009/08/05/weed-in-kanji-the-language-of-nature/ Could be shorter of course.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Alenanno, istrasci, Dono, Dave M G, Flaw Sep 16 '12 at 8:38

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I just typed "kanji etymology" into Google, and clicked the first result. It seems to be what you want, except maybe that you have to type the kanji yourself, which doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. (It also seems to be more correct than that website you linked to, which simply breaks the characters up into radicals and invents a story around them.) –  Billy Sep 15 '12 at 17:45

hey, you mean kanjinetworks.com? it seems the search option does not work as anonymous user. After I logged in everythink works. Yes, it basically does what I was looking for. Do you want to add an answer? Thanks. –  Andreas Sep 15 '12 at 18:34

Doesn't it? The search works for me! –  Billy Sep 15 '12 at 18:42

In response to a similar question, a user posted their meta-search of several etymology websites: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/2675/1478 –  snailboat Sep 15 '12 at 18:59
On Meta there is a question about resources with a rather good section filled with dictionaries. –  Alenanno Sep 15 '12 at 22:41

1 Answer 1

http://www.kanjinetworks.com/eng/kanji-dictionary/online-kanji-etymology-dictionary.cfm

share|improve this answer

If you recommend this website then perhaps you could add it to the resources page on the meta site? –  Tim Sep 16 '12 at 1:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.