Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.
きのうは きょうより ひとが すくないです。

Is it saying:

X number of people yesterday < Y number of people today?

or

X number of people yesterday > Y number of people today?

I'm getting the translation of より confused and can't make heads or tails of it.

share|improve this question
As for yesterday, compared with today, the people are few. (There were fewer people yesterday than there are today.) –  Billy Sep 14 '12 at 1:09

@Billy shouldn't this be an answer? –  Ataraxia Sep 14 '12 at 1:10

Sure, why not... –  Billy Sep 14 '12 at 1:11

I was going to put almost the exact same thing as my answer, but I didn't want to have a duplicate answer/comment. –  Ataraxia Sep 14 '12 at 1:16
Where does this sentence come from? The sentence sounds unnatural to me because of the lack of past form. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 14 '12 at 2:22

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

As for yesterday, compared with today, the people are few. (There were fewer people yesterday than there are today.)

share|improve this answer

Ah. So it's X number of people yesterday < Y number of people today –  dotnetN00b Sep 14 '12 at 1:23
Yes. The point is that the noun suffixed by より is a point of reference to measure the rest of the sentence against. –  Billy Sep 14 '12 at 1:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.