Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In this phrase I couldn't find another meaning of たら (I guess it's not -た+ら):

自分たらの事しか考えてなかった

I'd translate it as "I think only of my own business" or "I think only of myself".

I found in Denshi jisho that たら attached to someone name is used to express exasperation. What would a good way to translate this "exasperation" in English?

What about other particles like な, that would possibly be misunderstood?

share|improve this question
def 2 at dic.yahoo.co.jp/… and def 3 at dic.yahoo.co.jp/… has a couple of examples –  cypher Sep 13 '12 at 14:50
Did you hear it or read it? I have no idea about such a usage of たら. –  Gradius Sep 13 '12 at 20:37

It's often used when exasperated: "じゃ、お前は上手だと言ってるから、自分でやってみ[たら]!" :P –  Axioplase Sep 14 '12 at 1:50

1 Answer 1

I think that it is simply a typo for “自分たちの,” unless it is a dialectal vocabulary which I am not aware of.

The usage to indicate exasperation which you mentioned in the question probably refers to the たら which was originally といったら, but たら in your example cannot be this word because this word cannot be followed by case particles such as の.

share|improve this answer

I see, I've read it in written text. It doesn't seem to be a typo because the character repeats it at last two times in two different pages. –  Shizuka Sep 14 '12 at 15:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.