Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am in a Japanese office setup sitting next to my boss. He often gets phone calls but most of the time he is not in his seat. How do I answer his phone say that "This is Mr. XX's seat and this is YY (my name) talking and Mr.XX is not in his place" in Japanese?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I've found answering the phone at work follows a fairly fixed pattern.

I would answer the phone with something along the lines of:

株式会社ZのYYと申{もう}します。
This is company Z, MR Y speaking.

Then when they introduce themselves. You generally reply with :

お世話{せわ}になっております。

Then when they ask for your boss say something like:

申{もう}し訳{わけ}ないですがXXさんは席{せき}を外{はず}しておりますが...
I'm very sorry but he has left his seat...

At that point they will either ask when he will be back, or say they will call back later.

share|improve this answer
(Regarding the last line) Generally it is best to omit the -san for an employee within your company, even your boss, when talking to someone outside of your company. –  Dono Sep 13 '12 at 6:52

Cheers @Dono . I was in two minds about adding it myself at first. So it's best to say XX rather than XX-san, or would you omit the name altogether? –  Jeemusu Sep 13 '12 at 8:35
It is usually correct to use a surname without -san or any honorific suffix when you talk about person X in your company to someone outside of your company, because X is considered as a person on your side in relation to the caller, and you should not honorify a person on your side. If the caller is a family of X, the situation is different; you should refer to X with honorifics in this case. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 13 '12 at 20:04
add comment

Two cases:

1. You answer saying "もしもし、JLU(の)クマーです", and the other person realises immediately you're not your boss

2. First, just say もしもし, let them introduce themselves, and then reply something like "あ、どうもありがとうございます。申し訳ないのですが、現在部長が席を外してますが…"

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.