Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

(Note: I'm part of the "I know bits and pieces of Japanese from watching anime" group, so I lack an in-depth knowledge of Japanese)

As I'm hearing Japanese occasionally there will be an English word said. Lots of the time there seems to be a suffix on it. Here's a random sampling of words and what the suffixes sound like:

print-o
fight-o
deep-eh
speed-o
rock-uh
type-eh
print-eh
rope-eh
boss-eh

As you can see there seem to be 2 major suffixes: -eh (or -euh, depending on the person saying it) and -o. Are there any rules on which to use? Does it even depend on the person or area the person is from?

share|improve this question
Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/2147/78 –  istrasci Sep 12 '12 at 18:19
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Written Japanese contains a syllabary (like an alphabet) called Kana. All of the "letters" in this syllabary, with the exception of the "letter" "N" (ん/ン) end in a vowel. Thus anytime a foreign word ends in a consonant (with the exception of "N"), it is natural for a Japanese speaker to pronounce this consonant with a vowel after it. This is not a question of suffix usage but a question of pronunciation. Note that all the words you listed have a pronunciation that ends in a consonant (the e in rope and type are not audible).

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana

share|improve this answer

Hmm, never noticed that everything ends in a vowel. Thanks for the help! –  TheLQ Sep 12 '12 at 18:54

@ TheLQ, You're welcome. And now that you know this, you can use this knowledge as an aid in fostering a fake japanese accent. –  yadokari Sep 12 '12 at 21:21
add comment

Building on what the other answers gave, but adding a bit more detail:

Japanese's "syllables" are known as "mora". One mora consists of at least a vowel and possibly preceded by a consonant. (They're not quite syllables, as two mora can combine to make one syllable). This makes Japanese a moraic language.

A consonant following a vowel in a syllable is known as a syllable coda. Japanese lacks any representation for a syllable coda in its set of phenomes, since every consonant is always followed by a vowel (with a notable exception of the "n" sound, which is relatively new in the Japanese syllabary). For this reason, transcribing a syllable coda into Japanese usually requires an -u sound. In normal spoken Japanese, an -u is usually barely pronounced when it comes at the end of a word. In anime, you've probably heard a lot of "desu" and "masu" at the end of sentences, pronounced as "dess" and "mass", respectively. So the following words are transcribed as follows:

wife => waifu
propose => puropozu
rice => raisu
ice => aisu

But "t" is an exception to this. The [タ行]{ta-gyou}'s -u syllable sounds like "tsu", rather than "tu". So the closest thing to a terminal "-t" coda is "to".

add comment

The very rough outline of the pattern is as follows:

-n -> Nothing added.
-t, -d -> Add -o.
-s -> A phonemic -u is added, but is often not pronounced.
-tch(-ch) -ge -> A phonemic -i is added, but is often not pronounced.
-k(-c/-ck), -g, -z, -f, -b, -p, -m, -r, -sh -> Add -u.

What I write as -u is really a close back vowel [ɯ], which is what you transcribe as -eh and -uh.

So the general rule is to add -u. The reason some endings add others, like -o, is that some combinations of sounds, like 'tu' and 'du', don't exist in Japanese traditionally (although they have appeared because of foreign loanwords).

For the ones adding -i, I have less confidence, but I would think it is because -tch and -ge sound palatized, and "chi" and "ji" are palatized in Japanese, contrary "chu" and "ju".

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.