Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is a correct translation for 「そんなことない」 and when can it be used?

I understand the "this is wrong"/"this is not correct" general sense but is this considered either as harsh or a gentle way of showing disagreement?

Also a direct translation would be "there is no such thing". Can this expression be applied to a person?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 8 down vote accepted

It is relatively gentle, and a good way of allaying fears or dispelling misconceptions.

お邪魔みたいですので、これで失礼しますね… It seems like I'm interrupting you, so I'll see myself out... そんなこと(は)ないですよ Not at all! / Don't be silly! / No such thing!

かなり怖い人だそうですけど… I heard he's quite a scary person...
そんなことない Not at all.

If by your last question you mean can the "thing" be a person, I would say no. When you start making the "thing" a literal object instead of a fact, そんなものはない (there is no such thing [here]) fits better, and for people, そんな人はいない (there is no such person [here]).

share|improve this answer

This is what I wanted to figure out. Thanks! –  Thomas Moulard Sep 11 '12 at 13:07
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.