Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Japan for three years, and I've noticed that the locals often sound like they're combining the two words "arigatō" and "gozaimasu" into a single word, "arigatōzaimasu".

Am I hearing things (possible, as they speak very quickly), or is this a common practice?

share|improve this question

You mean "arigatōzaimasu" as opposed to "arigatōgozaimasu", right? –  taylor Sep 8 '12 at 3:54

@taylor That's correct. –  Terrance Shaw Sep 8 '12 at 3:57
there is even あざ~す! –  Earthliŋ Sep 8 '12 at 4:02

@user1205935 does the shortened version follow the "melody"(for lack of a better word) of ありがとうございます? –  Flaw Sep 8 '12 at 7:56

@Flaw Yeah, sure, it follows the "melody" ;) I looked, but couldn't find a sound sample, sorry. –  Earthliŋ Sep 8 '12 at 8:03

2 Answers 2

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Another possibility is that the /g/ is being lenited into a voiced velar fricative /ɣ/, as is common between vowels in Japanese. (See "Handbook of the International Phonetic Association: Japanese" by Hideo Okada, or Wikipedia.) Further, since the second /g/ has rounded vowels (/o/) on both sides, it is likely to be somewhat rounded (/ɣʷ/ = /w̝/).

The utterance, phonemically

/aɽígatoogozaimásu/

then would be something like

[àɽíɣàtoow̝ozaimás]

Judging by your username, I'm guessing you're a native English speaker. Since most varieties of English diphthongize /o/ to something like /ow/, and minimally distinguish vowel length, English speakers are likely less sensitive to the intervening [w̝] and to the extra-long vowel sequence /ooo/. So you hear the utterance as

/arigatoːzaimas/

which would be transcribed as "arigatōzaimasu".

share|improve this answer
Your assumption on my native tongue is correct, and that is one very fine and in-depth answer. –  Terrance Shaw Sep 8 '12 at 9:01

The lenition to [ɣ] was what I had guessed as well. Good explanation! –  Zhen Lin Sep 8 '12 at 11:56

Does this rule out the possibility of an underlying morphological process? How do we know that /aɽígatoogozaimásu/ is or is not a derived compound? –  taylor Sep 8 '12 at 19:37

I think you're just hearing two words that get said quickly and become slurred because they're so commonly used together. Human beings are lazy like that. I would think that "thank you" sounds like one word to a non-native English speaker :)

share|improve this answer

True enough, and again, they do speak their language quite quickly. –  Terrance Shaw Sep 8 '12 at 8:01

Actually 39 (san-kyuu) is e-mail Japanese for thank you because that's how people say it to each other. –  Tim Sep 8 '12 at 9:19

@Tim: Ah yes, sorry, I meant "as spoken by a native English-speaker" ;) –  silvermaple Sep 8 '12 at 23:12

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.