Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've always thought of 姿 as a physical form or shape, but I came across this passage from my book:

彼らの話から浮かびあがってきたのは、・・・・・{この人}の姿だった。

(I took just took out some descriptions of the woman they're talking about that aren't really relevant [that I can tell, anyway].)

I imagine that I've got the meaning of the sentence--that these guys are talking about this person--but what exactly does 姿 here represent? In the story, these guys are trying to track down a woman, but at this point they haven't seen actually seen her, only heard about her from rumors, etc.. Is 姿 this sort of image they have of her? Is it sort of a representation of who she is, and not her physical person?

More importantly, is this a common usage of 姿 or more literary?

share|improve this question
This usage is quite usual and not particularly literary. I hope that other people can explain it better, but in the meanwhile, see sense 3 and the second example of sense 5 in Daijisen. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 5 '12 at 3:28
add comment

1 Answer

[This is meant to be a practical rather an academic answer, intended for fellow student]

As the above comment helpfully says, the usage you found is not particularly unusual or literary.

I can't comment on how extreme the use of 姿 gets in a literary context but if, like me, you are trying to grasp the breadth of its normal use over and above its familiar use as "figure" or "appearance" then I think the easiest way is know a few key sentences (or at least this is what I am doing). I made a point of remembering and then focus on grasping the following few:

本来の姿 | proper state / real character

母の姿が目に浮かぶ | my late mother comes to mind (note context)

〜姿を見せる|appear on the scene

And, as it was an important word to understand, being alert for new/variations on these.

I put the following list together using some more of my own examples and the Apple dictionary (which seems close to Daijisen in content)

1 外見,身なり/appearance:

男の子はみすぼらしい姿をしていた|The boy was shabbily dressed.

*________に姿をやつす|disguise oneself as __*

2 体の格好/figure

母の姿が目に浮かぶ | my late mother comes to mind (note context)

トムは後ろ姿がジムにそっくりだ|When seen from behind, Tom looks exactly like Jim.

3 人の目に映る体,その人/"sightings of a person"

あれっきり彼は姿を見せない|We have seen nothing of him since. /That was the last we saw of him.

彼は姿を隠した[くらました]|He went into hiding.

4 物の形/shape of an object

間もなく湖が姿を現した|Soon the lake showed itself [came in view].

太陽が何日も姿を見せなかった|The sun remained [stayed] hidden for days.

5 ありさま,様子/condition, circumstances

本来の姿 | proper state / real character

それが民主国家の本当の姿だ|That is what a democratic country should be like.

share|improve this answer
(1) You forgot to answer the specific question that is being asked. (2) If you copied these definitions and examples from something, I think that you should cite the source. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Sep 5 '12 at 22:29

@TsuyoshiIto: I have amended my answer in response to your comments (thanks). Please bear in mind I am trying to share what I think the OP might find useful based on my own experience. I may be wrong but others can also contribute too. –  Tim Sep 6 '12 at 1:43

The line break didn't work on the second example under #3. A not-well-known trick is to add two spaces to the end of a line before you hit the Return key, and the next line will show up immediately underneath, which might be what you wanted. –  Troyen Sep 6 '12 at 5:25

@Troyen: Thanks. I've been struggling with that function. –  Tim Sep 6 '12 at 5:44

結局コピペしただけじゃん。OPでもできた。 –  Tokyo Nagoya Jan 23 at 10:09
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.