Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've recently been seeing あと as well as as Furigana on top of in その後, but is there a difference in usage or meaning between the different readings?

Looking at the Yahoo thesaurus, it seems it can also be read as のち. When would this reading be used over the others?

share|improve this question
My impression based on experience (so somebody else might want to agree disagree): そのご is the more formal/written Japanese than そのあと which is more likely to be used in conversation/relaxed (if still neutral) circumstances. I've not heard そののち before but looking at spaceALC it seems to used mainly in novels (which would be why I don't know it) but possibly its appropriate to a more literary style? –  Tim Sep 3 '12 at 5:21
I don't think I've ever seen そののち – but I have seen のち in things like 雨のち晴れ... –  Zhen Lin Sep 3 '12 at 8:58

そののち is often the reading in the Bible. Great question though, I've often wondered this as well. –  istrasci Sep 3 '12 at 15:12
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

This is my personal impression, but I think that その後 read as そのあと or そののち means “shortly after that” or “then,” whereas その後 read as そのご means a longer period than that, corresponding more to “ever since then.” そののち sounds more formal than そのあと to me.

share|improve this answer

Just to add to this, そのご is common, but you cannot say このご because this has been replaced by 今後. From this, you can see the resemblance to this answer, そのご <-> 今後, そのあと <--> このあと. –  Jesse Good Sep 4 '12 at 21:38
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.