While having fun looking up random words in my dictionary software, I found out that the phrase "めちゃめちゃ", which is often used in colloquial sentences like "めちゃめちゃかわいい" has two kanji variants:

滅茶滅茶
目茶目茶

For the first variant, 滅茶滅茶, I can imagine the significance of 滅, which implies "destruction", but why with "tea"? The second variant is even absurd (or can I use "mecha-mecha" as a pun here :P), because it's from "eye" and "tea".

Does the kanji character "茶" has any significance in the phrase, or are they just ateji?

2 Answers 2

That's just ateji「当て字」, but they used like that because

• 滅茶滅茶 related with 滅茶苦茶/無茶苦茶 (muchakucha) and base word is 無茶,
  • There is some saying that 無茶 supposed to mean お客さんにお茶を出さない。 (No o-cha?)
    (Don't provide tea to customer, which is unreasonable just like 無茶苦茶. But meaning from 当て字 are not suppose to be used, so above is wrong approach.
  • There is also another saying that 無茶 comes from Buddhist word 無作 (musa/musaku), which has meaning むさぼる (greedy, covet) and 苦茶 is just to emphasize the former.

ref: http://gogen-allguide.com/mu/muchakucha.html

Just to clarify: According to the page, it is sometimes incorrectly explained that the origin of the words 無茶 and 苦茶 relates to tea. Jun 6, 2011 at 13:11
  • @Tsuyoshi Ito, heheh, I just read the first line. I will update with more info.
    – YOU
    Jun 6, 2011 at 13:18
  • Updated @Tsuyoshi. Let me know my translation is not ok.
    – YOU
    Jun 6, 2011 at 13:41
    Thanks. I think that your translation is fine. Just to add, 無作 (むさ) here is a Buddhist word and not in common use nowadays. Jun 6, 2011 at 13:45

I don't think that the kanji have any specific meaning and are just used for their sounds, ergo Ateji.

• Any reason why even use kanji at all? Why not just stick to kana for this kind of onomatopoeia phrases?
    – Lukman
    Jun 6, 2011 at 7:26
    @Lukman: Because it makes you look all cultured and intellectual-like, of course! :) Jun 6, 2011 at 20:48
    At one point in time (pre-Meiji era) it was customary to assign Kanji to all new words that were imported. It's become less of a concern in the modern age, however.
    – Kaji
    Mar 30, 2014 at 8:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .