Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So I'm watching this anime a couple of days ago and one of the characters were describing a group of people. He ended his description with "GIGN to iu na no inu". The subtitle says that meant: "Those dogs of the GIGN". So I'm wondering is "GIGN no inu" or "GIGN de inu" wrong? I would think they all mean the same thing.

*GIGN = military police unit

share|improve this question

I do not know the scene and I cannot tell for sure, but probably the subtitle is incorrect. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 30 '12 at 13:27
add comment

1 Answer

GIGNと言う名の犬: a (or those) dog(s) by the name of GIGN. na is name.

share|improve this answer

Ah! Thank you! So と言う can be translated as "to call" as well? I thought that's what yobu is for...? –  dotnetN00b Aug 30 '12 at 13:40

よぶ mean to literally call out to or invoke. The expression という means "to go by the name of". –  Ataraxia Aug 30 '12 at 15:56

A question that I have though, why is it 名? It sounds like it's saying "The name GIGN's dogs." Why isn't it something like と言う所の犬 or と言う警察の犬? –  Ataraxia Aug 30 '12 at 16:20

@phoenixheart6 N1のN2 does not always translate as "N1's N2", and Xという名のY is pretty common for "(a/those) Y named X". GIGNという犬 would be possible but it has a wider range of possible meanings, so possibly 名 is used to make it clearly that GIGN is the name of the group. See: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/2770 –  nkjt Aug 31 '12 at 16:19
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.