Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having trouble understanding this grammar. Could someone please help.

「ようになるだけではなくて」

Taken from the sentence:

本を読めるようになるだけではなくて

Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question
Your example "本を読めるようになるだけではなくて" does not look like a complete sentence. It looks like only part of a sentence unless it is colloquialism. If it is part of a sentence, please consider adding a complete sentence. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 29 '12 at 8:52

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Breaking this apart a bit:

So, (assuming there is something after だけではなくて and it's not a complete sentence), from there I think you can come up with:

本を読めるようになるだけではなくて…
Not only will (you) become able to read [a book/books], ...

The way I understand よう is it means "state"/"situation"/"form"/"way", and is usually written in Hiragana though can be written with the Kanji 様{よう}. So for example:

• ~ようになる can mean "become into the state of...":

NGOはさらに大きな影響力を持つようになるのか。1
    Will NGOs gain greater influence?
    (lit. "Will NGOs become into the state of having greater influence?")

• ~できるようになる can mean "become into the state of being able to..." or "become able to..."/"come to be able to..." etc:

あなたはすぐにもっと上手にテニスができるようになるでしょう。2
    You will be able to play tennis better soon.
    (lit. "You will soon become into the state of being able to do tennis more skillfully")

• ~ように (often at the end of a sentence etc) can mean "towards the state/situation of..." or "may you..." etc, this is used for hoping or wishing for something:

あなたに不幸が訪れますように!
    May misfortune befall you!
    (lit. "Towards the state/situation of misfortune befalling you!")

• XようにY can mean "to go towards a state/situation of X, Y" or "X in order to Y":

時間におくれないように家を出た。3
    In order to not be late, (I/he/she etc) left the house.
    (lit. "To not go towards a state/situation of being late, (I/he/she etc) left the house")

• XのようなY can mean "Y that's of a similar state/form to X", "Y that's like X":

人生とは自転車のようなものだ。倒れないようにするには走らなければならない。4
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
    (lit. "Life is a thing that's of a similar state/form to a bicycle. ...")

• よう as in どのよう "how"/"what way" etc can also mean "way"

There are probably some other usages too.

Edit: tried to expand on the different usages of よう.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for those flushed out answer. By breaking the sentence up I think I understand it now. –  jerkytheturkey Jan 19 at 0:41

I think you have to break it down:

本を読めるようになる = so that [I] was able to read [the book/books/a book]

AだけではなくてB = not just A(but also)B....

=> Not just so that I could read books (but also)...

BTW: Just in case this wording sounds awkward, you have asked about a phrase not a complete sentence. The exact wording in English will depend on the rest of the sentence and the full context not provided, eg:

• Is this a specific book or books in general (see comments below)?
  • The inclusion of なる (as per comments) suggests the latter(?)
  • I assumed the subject was I but it could be 2nd person/more general
  • I have used "just" which felt natural but "only" is perhaps technically a more precise word

Supplementary grammar note: ために is often translated as "in order to", ように is often translated as "so that". The main difference b/w the two is that ために is generally used for actions that can be controlled by the subject, ように is typically used for verbs in potl form, -ve form or stative verbs such as 分かる. Compare the following two sentences

日本語を勉強するために日本にきました。

日本語が上手になるように一緒懸命勉強しています。

share|improve this answer
I thought 'in order to be able to read the book' would be 本を読めるために and 本を読めるようになる would mean 'to acquire the ability to read the book' –  taylor Aug 29 '12 at 15:18

@taylor: see my supplementary grammar note. Changed "in order to" to "so that" to avoid confusion. –  Tim Aug 29 '12 at 16:24
Wouldn't "Not just so that I could read the book" be 本を読めるようにだけではなくて ? With the なる present, I prefer the other (for some reason deleted) answer's interpretation of: "Not only will (you) become able to read [a book/books], ..." –  Hyperworm Aug 29 '12 at 17:16
@Hyperworm The translation here was originally written as "Not just in order to (be able to) read the book". I think I maybe would have written it as "Not just to become able to read [a book/books]", but I thought that assuming that it was a (lone colloquial) sentence as written in the question rather than having something after だけではなくて, it was a better translation than mine. –  cypher Aug 29 '12 at 22:09
I originally wrote a quick answer to what I saw as a quick question. But, these are all fair points - not least the importance of being open to the context, which was not given. The OP does not explain what it is they don't understand. (FWIW, I thought it was probably だけではなくて because use of だけ is quite wide but taylor picked up on ように) For completeness, I'll try to incorporate your comments to my answer. Thanks –  Tim Aug 30 '12 at 0:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.